Visual Studio Code (VS Code) is one of the most popular code editors in the world, appreciated for its simplicity, power, and versatility. One of its most useful features is the extensive list of keyboard shortcuts it provides, which can significantly enhance your coding speed and efficiency.
Basic Navigation Shortcuts
File and Workspace Management
- Ctrl/Cmd + N: Open a new file.
- Ctrl/Cmd + O: Open an existing file.
- Ctrl/Cmd + S: Save the current file.
- Ctrl/Cmd + P: Quick file search and open.
- Ctrl/Cmd + W: Close the current editor tab.
- Ctrl/Cmd + K, Ctrl/Cmd + W: Close all open editor tabs.
- Ctrl/Cmd + G: Go to a specific line number.
- Ctrl/Cmd + F: Open the Find dialog for searching within the file.
- Ctrl/Cmd + H: Open the Replace dialog for finding and replacing text.
- Ctrl/Cmd + D: Select the next occurrence of the selected text.
- Alt + Left/Right Arrow: Navigate back and forth through code locations.
- Ctrl/Cmd + X: Cut the selected text.
- Ctrl/Cmd + C: Copy the selected text.
- Ctrl/Cmd + V: Paste text from the clipboard.
- Ctrl/Cmd + Z: Undo the last action.
- Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + Z: Redo the last undone action (undo the undo).
- Ctrl/Cmd + /: Toggle line or block comment.
- Shift + Alt + F: Format the entire document.
- Ctrl/Cmd + [: Indent the selected code to the left.
- Ctrl/Cmd + ]: Indent the selected code to the right.
Integrated Terminal Shortcuts
- Ctrl/Cmd + `Open or close the integrated terminal.
- Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + `Create a new terminal instance.
- Ctrl/Cmd + Up/Down ArrowScroll through terminal history.
- F5: Start debugging.
- Shift + F5: Stop debugging.
- F9: Toggle a breakpoint.
- F10: Step over.
- F11: Step into.
Customize Your Own Shortcuts
- Ctrl/Cmd + K, Ctrl/Cmd + S: Open the Keyboard Shortcuts editor to customize or add new shortcuts.
Mastering these essential keyboard shortcuts in Visual Studio Code will significantly improve your coding efficiency and streamline your workflow. You can further customize shortcuts to match your preferences and coding style. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced developer, investing time in learning and using these shortcuts will make your coding experience in VS Code much smoother and productive.